Why do we need ProtectivAir®?
History teaches us that infectious diseases emerge at a frequency of one every 8 months of which a proportion of these are pathogens which are transmitted as aerosols. Emerging diseases do and will continue to cause havoc within the world’s population. Antibiotic resistance is also an increasing threat. Respiratory diseases are extremely costly to deal with and can have a high mortality rate. The 2009 swine ‘flu epidemic cost the UK £1.24bn ($1.59bn) in pure preparatory and response costs. This was without adding hospitalisation costs and those related to loss of income.
Finding a solution which provides immediate protection against all airborne pathogens in order to save lives and money was, and is, our primary goal. We intend to achieve this goal by introducing a new and improved approach to respiratory protection which has hitherto remained largely unchanged for many years. ProtectivAir® technology has been tested by Public Health England at their laboratories at Porton Down, who have validated the test results confirming protection.
Suitable for all populations and ages
ProtectivAir® is designed to be a compact, wearable and filter-free breathing device or integrated into closed environments that can enable immediate protection for individuals and populations of all ages.
Use for Individuals
ProtectivAir® wearable device consists of a compact (80 by 80 by 240mm), wearable, filter-free, breathing device that sterilizes inhaled air, providing immediate protection against airborne pathogens (e.g. influenza, MERS, SARS, TB, anthrax etc.). The sterilisation chamber is linked by a hose to a comfortable and secure mouth and nose mask. It can be worn on a belt or on the back, leaving the hands free.
If the pathogens have not yet been identified or if they are mutations of known pathogens, ProtectivAir® will still protect. This will allow time for the identification of the pathogen and then the production of a vaccine, which can take many months.
The ProtectivAir® device can be integrated existing Air Cleaning systems to provide biological clean air that enhances protection provided by a filter alone. Inhaled air is sterilised, providing immediate protection against airborne pathogens (e.g. influenza, MERS, SARS, TB, anthrax etc.).
If the pathogens have not yet been identified or if they are mutations of known pathogens, ProtectivAir® will still protect. This will allow time for the identification of the pathogen and then the production of a vaccine, which can take many months
Immediate, high protection performance
In the case of an outbreak where the airborne pathogen is unknown, or known but mutating, ProtectivAir® will protect anyone involved in containing the outbreak, together with the general public.
What are the advantages of the ProtectivAir® technology
- Immediate and high protection performance
- One device will protect against all known and unknown airborne pathogens, which vaccines or filters alone cannot do
- It is re-useable and can be designed to be worn all day, if necessary
- It is battery or mains operated
- There are no filters to clog or change and therefore no concerns about safe disposal
- Flexible installation: Individual mask or integrated to existing air management systems
How does it do this?
Energetic UVc photons pass through the infecting micro-organisms damaging their nucleic acid (RNA or DNA) which disables their ability to replicate and infect. All published data confirm that UVc is an extremely effective germicidal agent. The use of UVc in disinfection/decontamination is widely accepted, however the use in a protective device is, we believe, novel.
Medi-Immune’s ProtectivAir® technology uses UVc to deactivate any airborne pathogens being inhaled by the wearer. That air passes through a compact portable irradiation chamber which has been carefully engineered so that, for a low input of power, a high dose of UVc is delivered thereby providing immediate real-time protection.
As an example, at normal respiration rates, an 10-log reduction in viable Influenza A viral particles is achieved i.e. less than 1 in 10,000,000,000 particles remains viable.
ProtectivAir® technology can be utilised to deliver benefit to other individuals in a variety of different environments and ways including:
- Patients with a compromised immune system or with respiratory problems will benefit from ProtectivAir® providing immediate high protection from further airborne infection
- If ProtectivAir® is worn by infected patients, exhaling the breath that has already been through the device would prevent the spread of infection by ensuring that the exhaled air is free from infective pathogens, thereby protecting others in the vicinity.
- In the case of bioterrorism, if an airborne pathogen such as anthrax is released, first responders, military personnel and any of the general public in the area will benefit from ProtectivAir®.
- In addition to the mask based respiratory protection, the technology used by ProtectivAir® can also be deployed to supplement and improve the effectiveness of systems used in other high pathogenic risk environments.